The Panoz GTR-1 is a standard car, unlocked by completing the first six London Checkpoint races in a podium position. It is undoubtedly the fastest car on Midtown Madness 2 and the original Midtown Madness, while it is also the least durable. In HQTM Team's Classic Madness mod, it is replaced by the stunning Ferrari 250 GTO.
It is capable of reaching a top speed of 287mph, and has very low durability and responsive handling. In MIDTOWN2_Core's mod (Steir), the car's general durability and handling have been improved. Also, the car has a crash problem depending on the rear suspensions by default, though this can be fixed via the Curb mod and Steir.
The Panoz Esperante GTR-1 is a Le-Mans racecar designed by Panoz Auto Development, Ford and Reynard Motorsport. Originally designed for the FIA GT Championship in 1996, the GTR-1 has since competed in the 24 Hours of Le-Mans, American Le Mans Series, IMSA GT and United States Road Racing Championship. The car competed between 1997 and 1999, finishing in commendable positions in the US, with varied results in Europe. The racecar made a comeback in 2003, to star in the 1000km of Le Mans, before taking part in the 24 Hours of Sebring, 24 Hours of Le Mans and Le Mans Series (only at Spa-Francorchamps) in 2004. In 2000, Panoz began development of the Esperante road car, as a replacement to the Panoz Roadster. The Panoz Esperante GT-LM was a Le Mans racecar, based on the road-going Esperante, which won the GT2 class of th 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2006. Also, Panoz has developed the LMP and DP series racecars for future Le Mans Prototype and Open-Wheel races. The Esperante road car ended production in 2009, and was replaced by the Panoz Abruzzi in 2011.
- Top Speed: 287 mph
- Horsepower: 650 bhp
- Mass: 2130 lbs
- Durability: Very Low (Low in Steir)
- Racing Decals
- Secret Shadow (unlocked through victory in all London Checkpoint races)
IRT NOSEditOn June 17th 2008, Team IRT uploaded the 'Panoz GTR-1 IRT NOS' to Midtown Madness 2 eXtreme, although the car was originally made as early as 2002. The new car was only available in one color, but used the unique 'NOS' hack, which gives a negative deceleration when the brakes are applied. This allows the car to accelerate rapidly and reach speeds of up to 1118 mph.
Oddly, this was the only known add-on Panoz car ever developed for Midtown Madness 2, despite their status within the game, until April 21st, 2012, when Aaro4130 released the Panoz Esperante GTLM. On January 17th, 2014, he also released a high polygon Panoz GTR-1 to Midtown Madness 2 eXtreme, following another Panoz GTR-1 made by Sajmon14 on March 12th.
- The Panoz GTR-1 is the only car from the first Midtown Madness that reappears as an unlockable car in Midtown Madness 2.
- The Panoz GTR-1 suffers a glitch with the downforce mechanic. If one drives the car at speeds in excess of ~220mph, the front of the car is pushed into the ground and the car takes damage. However, this can be fixed by setting the car's downforce in the tuning files to 0. This bug is also fixed in the Steir mod.
- It is one of four vehicles that crashes into curbs while driving, along with the Double-Decker Bus, the VW New Beetle RSi and the Aston Martin DB7 Vantage. However, this problem can be negated by downloading the Curb mod.