The Freightliner Century is a standard vehicle that is unlocked from the very first time you play Midtown Madness 2. It is the most durable vehicle in the standard game, the original Midtown Madness and Midtown Madness 3. The big rig in the first two games is based on the Class C120 model, while the one in Midtown Madness 3 is based on the Class S/T model. In Midtown Madness 2, this semi-truck does not have its flatbed trailer attached to it unlike the original Midtown Madness and the alpha and early beta versions of Midtown Madness 2 (since the sequel was originally going to have a flatbed trailer attached to this truck, but due to glitches that caused it to fly high in the air if it hits a building at a high speed, the problems couldn't be fixed so it was cut from the later versions of the game). However, the trailer's files remain inside the mm2core.ar file of the final version of Midtown Madness 2, and can be enabled by adding a "TRAILER_HITCH" object to the truck's .pkg file, or by just taking the old one from one of the beta versions of the game and putting it in a custom .ar file, even though it can be glitchy unless you carefully modify other parts of the vehicle (see the trivia section of the article for the American LaFrance Fire Truck for more information). In HQTM Team's Classic Madness mod, it is replaced by the classic Mack W-71.
In 1942, Freightliner Trucks launched, and went on to build some of the most iconic trucks to come from the US. In 1951, Freightliner started selling trucks through the White Motor Company, but after success in the 60s, the early 70s saw the demise of WMC and in 1974, Freightliner split to form its own private company. In 1981, the firm joined the Daimler-Chrysler group and sold rebranded versions of Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Unfortunately, these were not popular, so in the 1990's Freightliner developed its own line of medium duty vehicles. From 1995 to 2000, the company aquired many other brands of commercial vehicle. It was in this period that the Freightliner Century, Freightliner FLD 120 Classic XL, American LaFrance Fire Truck and Silver Eagle Fire Truck were produced. Between 2001 and 2005, Freightliner began selling marques it couldn't sustain, including LaFrance. In 2007, Freightliner was split, to form Daimler Trucks North America. Now, Freightliner deals in heavy-duty trucks, as well as a rebranded Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. They are also experimenting with battery packs supplied by Tesla Motors to produce an electric vehicle in the future.
Awesome durability, but its top speed and handling are nothing to brag about.
- Top Speed: 114 mph
- Horsepower: 360 bhp
- Mass: 17790 lbs
- Durability: Very High
- Red (originally cut from the game, but made available through use of MM2 Revisited)
- Grey (originally cut from the game, but made available through use of MM2 Revisited)
- In the original Midtown Madness 1, whenever this truck came to a complete stop, an air brake hiss sound effect was heard. In the sequel, it was silent when it completely stopped since the brake sound effect was cut, but it can still be found in the .ar file for the game's core files, though it can't be installed due to MM2's new vehicle audio system.
- This is one of the default vehicles to be referred to by the announcers as its brand name, alongside the Aston Martin DB7 Vantage, the Mini Cooper Classic and the New Mini Cooper.
- As stated above, the flatbed trailer for this truck is not attached to the truck unit in the final version of MM2. Fortunately, there is a mod made by Sajmon14 that restores the trailer and also fixes its wheels. However, the mod is not compatible with the additional colors from the MM2 Revisited mod (V4 and V5), and when the truck goes in reverse, its trailer really gets out of place.
- In the original Midtown Madness 1, when the player has installed its Windows XP compatibility patch or the MM1 Revisited V3 mod, the trailer is detached when the F5 key is pressed, but when this truck is used in the game's races, it will automatically detach its trailer. In Midtown Madness 2, when the trailer mod is installed, and when the truck is being driven by the player, it is nearly impossible to remove the trailer from the truck unit unless it has crashed into a lot of solid objects, but when this truck is used in any of the sequel's custom races, the trailer doesn't stick to the truck unit and acts like a non-solid object that can be driven through and its high-poly wheels are invisible. This also applies to the American LaFrance Fire Truck and when both articulated vehicles are used as pursuit vehicles in custom .aimap files for the default cities or custom cities.