The American LaFrance Fire Truck is a standard vehicle unlocked through completing 5 San Francisco Blitz events. It is the only default vehicle in Midtown Madness 2 to have a trailer (unlike Midtown Madness 1 and the early beta versions of MM2 where the Freightliner Century actually had a flatbed trailer attached to it) and shares the same cab as the cut Silver Eagle Fire Truck, which is essentially a trailer-less version of this vehicle. In the early beta versions of the game, this truck is known as the Frieghtliner Fire Truck (when you unlock this truck in the final version of the game, it will still say that you have unlocked the Freightliner Fire Truck. The voice clips in the game still call this vehicle by using those three words). In HQTM Team's Classic Madness it is replaced by the older American LaFrance Type 700.
American LaFrance has been producing firefighting equipment since 1873 and fire engines since 1903. Over the years, it has made many different types of firefighting vehicles, from airport crash turcks to aerial ladders trucks, such as the American LaFrance Type 700 of the 1950s. In 1995, Freightliner bought out American LaFrance, along with other commercial vehicle brands. It was in this period that the Freightliner Century, Freightliner FLD 120 Classic XL, American LaFrance Fire Truck and Silver Eagle Fire Truck were produced. In 2005, rights to LaFrance were once again sold to Patriach Partners, who still used the same plant, until DaimlerChrysler started using it as an assembly line for the Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter, a rebranded Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. In early 2008, American LaFrance was filed for bankruptcy, but recovered later that year under a new initiative to spread the vehicles' production across the US.
- Top Speed: 109 mph
- Horsepower: 500 bhp
- Mass: 61740 lbs
- Durability: Very High
- Watch the trailer wheels. MM2 introduces multi-wheel steering, which could be why the Freightliner Century didn't have its flatbed in the final version of the second game as it had four wheels.
- For some reason, the Dalmation livery is available once this truck itself is unlocked and the Green color has to be unlocked by completing the rest of the San Francisco Blitz races. This is obviously an error in the game's development, since Green is a normal color like Yellow and Red whereas Dalmation is a custom paint job. This should have been fixed in the MM2 Revisited mod, but a patch for V5 might fix it later.
- Additionally, there is no information that tells you how to unlock the custom paint job, unlike all the other default vehicles. It also could have been fixed in MM2 Revisited, but a patch for V5 might fix it sometime later.
- In dashboard view, the camera will slowly pitch when the truck goes uphill or downhill. This was fixed in MM2 Revisited.
- This truck was originally have its own siren sound effects, but since it was not implemented in the game, it uses the same siren sound effects as the Police cars.
- Interestingly, all the cars unlocked from completing races in San Francisco all have an animal themed color. The exception being the Light Tactical Vehicle as it had no custom paint jobs anyway.
- When converted back to Midtown Madness 1's format, the truck's trailer didn't work properly, so it was later made as a "Beta" addon vehicle for the game instead of the Silver Eagle Fire Truck.